Perry is located on Hwy 82 south of Abbeville. Before Abbeville became the second and permanent seat of Vermilion Parish, Perry had the honors. The community was named after Robert Perry, who built the first bridge to span the Vermilion River in the 1820's. The present metal span bridge crossing the Vermilion in Perry is an aerial lift span common to our parish. This type of bridge makes both water and road transportation equally convenient and can allow for any height boat to pass through its opening.